Tuesday 31 January 2012

Gig of the Month - Jocelyn Brown

On 13th January I went to see Jocelyn Brown at the Jazz Cafe in Camden. Four years ago, I heard Chris Moyles talk about how he'd seen her at the Jazz Cafe and I instantly wanted to go. I got my chance in 2010 and again in 2011 and despite being the second week in January, completely skint and supposedly on a detox/health kick, there was no way I could miss this show.

Now I'm a massive fan of the Jazz Cafe, its an intimate venue which means you get a great view from wherever you stand and there's also the option to have dinner while you sit on the balcony. They pull in some good line ups, perhaps slightly more niche acts like Belleruche (who I'd love to see but I'm away skiing) and Loick Essien on this weekend. 

Once again Jocelyn Brown didn't disappoint. She kicked off with medley of Keep on Jumpin', Enough is Enough, Moment of My Life, Ain't No Mountain High Enough to name a few (you forget how many anthems she's contributed to!). Supported by her band and backing vocalists including her daughter, she continued with some new gospel material before closing of course with Somebody Else's Guy.


Set list I stole from the drummer
Its a pleasure to hear all the big tracks but my highlight of the gig was Jocelyn's rendition of Close To You by the Carpenters. It was perfection, goosebumps, a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye... give it a listen for yourself:


Along with the new material and the track above making this the best time I've seen her yet, I also got to say hello after the show...

Meeting Jocelyn Brown

See you there next year!

Website for Jazz Cafe London
Jocelyn Brown Facebook Page


Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments, I love reading them all and I do take the time to reply so make sure you pop back!